Are you delving headfirst into a ketogenic diet? If so, the first thing you’ll want to stock up on is some quality MCT coconut oil. MCT oil contains precious medium-chain triglyceride that can help you achieve the fat-burning state of ketosis.
Read along to discover these 10 top rated MCT oils and learn more about how these products can help you in your Keto journey.
Ten Best MCT Oil Available in 2019
Best Overall MCT Oil For Keto
1. Onnit MCT Oil
Onnit MCT Oil is paleo- and keto-approved. After all, it contains generous amounts of C8, C10, and lauric acid. What’s more, it is a vital source of ATP (Adenosine triphosphate) energy. Not only that, but Onnit is sourced from sustainably grown coconuts farms. Not to mention, it contains no palm oil or other additives.
Onnit is tasteless and odorless, making it a great addition to smoothies, baked goods, and other already tasty treats. It can also be consumed by the mouthful to help foster a healthy and productive ketogenic diet. Many customers recommend using a dose of Onnit as a non-dairy creamer in coffee or tea.
- Contain C8, C10, and Lauric acid MCTs
- Supports ketogenic diet
- Free from fillers
- Sustainably harvested with no palm oil
- 100% pure premium MCT oil with lauric acid, harvested from coconuts. Onnit MCT Oil is sustainably sourced and contains no palm oil, the leading constituent in most MCT oils. Free of fillers,...
- MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) are a beneficial fat that's easily converted into fuel in the form of ketones, one of the brain's primary sources of energy as well as a vital source of ATP energy for...
- Onnit MCT Oil is tasteless and odorless, making it great for smoothies, protein shakes, salad dressings, unheated sauces, and more. Not recommended for use with styrofoam or any other foam-based...
- Great with coffee. Onnit MCT oil is a bulletproof way to turn your morning cup of Joe into a creamy, delicious source of sustained energy for the day, supporting mental focus and clarity. Organic,...
- A superior alternative to coconut oil for MCTs. Coconut oil is great, but it contains relatively small quantities of MCT's, particularly C8 (Caprylic Acid) and C10 (Capric Acid). These two forms of...
Best Organic MCT Oil
2. Viva Naturals USDA Organic MCT Oil
It comes as no surprise that the Viva Naturals Organic MCT oil is one of the most popular MCT oil options for individuals on the keto diet. The Viva Naturals MCT contains top-grade USDA-approved organic oil is both odorless and tasteless. Each batch of coconuts used to produce Viva is hand-picked and reviewed by a third party before heading to production.
Viva is proven to support healthy weight loss and improve mental clarity. For those following a ketogenic diet, the oil can help them maintain healthy blood sugar levels and retain bountiful energy stores. Customers say that Viva is truly tasteless and does not leave a gunky oil feeling on the tongue.
- 100-percent organic
- Handpicked and scrutinized by a third party
- Increases mental clarity
- The bottle does not pour well
- SUPPORTS FAT-BURNING POTENTIAL* - Because they're utilized by the body a little differently than other sources of fat, MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) provide you with an alternative source of...
- SUPPORTS ENERGY & MENTAL FOCUS ON LOW-CARB DIET* - While on a low-carb or ketogenic diet, your liver produces ketones to supply your brain with the energy usually provided by carbs and sugar. Viva...
- ODORLESS & TASTELESS - Because it's both neutrally flavored and odorless, even those with a sensitive palate can enjoy the healthy benefits of our Organic MCT Oil. Substitute traditional oils with MCT...
- A COFFEE KICK-START - MCT oil has become a favourite add-in for coffee drinkers, too. Adding a tablespoon of Viva Naturals Organic MCT Oil to your morning coffee can provide a much-needed supply of...
- HAND PICKED & THIRD-PARTY TESTED - Free of fillers, flavors and additives, Viva Naturals Organic MCT Oil is extracted from fresh, 100% organic coconuts. Every batch is hand-picked and third-party...
Best Price MCT Oil
3. Nature’s Way Pure Coconut Keto Oil
Each serving of Nature’s Way MCT oil features 14 grams of MCTs, including caprylic and capric acids. The oil is guaranteed vegetarian and comes in a BPA-bottle. What’s more, it is a single-origin product that promises to be free of palm oil and other fillers.
Customers report that the oil made a major difference and helped them achieve better ketosis. Many users also favored the oil’s reliable pin-hole pour top. With that said, some people were disappointed that Nature’s Way did not provide a breakdown of the MCT molecules.
- 100-percent organic
- Pure source
- No additives or fillers
- No percentage breakdowns provided
- MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs) FROM COCONUT. 100% Potency. Non-GMO Project Verified. 14 grams per serving. See Supplement Facts for total fat and saturated fat content
- Pure Source, No Palm or Filler Oils, Only from premium coconuts, Flavorless and Odorless, Hexane-free
- 100% MCTs: 14 grams of MCTs (including caprylic and capric acids) per serving. See Supplement Facts for total fat and saturated fat content
- Dietary Supplement Uses: Mix into smoothies, shakes, coffee and other beverages or simply take by the tablespoon.
- Vegetarian, BPA-Free bottle
Best Odourless MCT Oil
4.Bulletproof Brain Octane MCT Oil
A top MCT oil you should check out is Bulletproof’s Brain Octane Oil. Bulletproof uses a triple distillation process to create their ultra-clean chemical- and solvent-free formula. The end result is a brain-strengthening oil that offers four times the amount of MCT available in traditional coconut oil.
Bulletproof is sustainably sourced from pure coconut oil. It is lab-tested to ensure that no batch contains solvents or C12. While it does not contain any lauric acid, it has the two most important medium-chain triglycerides.
Customers have expressed overwhelmingly positive feelings about the Bulletproof MCT. In fact, many people stated that it helped them to successfully follow a carb-free keto diet without running low on energy or brain power. With that said, some customers felt that the bottle was difficult to pour from.
- Well-suited as a coffe creamer alternative
- Sustainably sourced
- Triple-distilled and lab-tested
- No fillers
- Stimulates the brain and metabolism
- Well-suited for ketogenic diets
- Does not contain lauric acid (C12)
- NATURAL ENERGY SOLUTION: Brain Octane is naturally found in coconut oil in small quantities, and we concentrate it to provide you with the purest energy source possible. Brain Octane rapidly provides...
- PURE AND CLEAN: Brain Octane undergoes our special triple distillation process with only water, heat, and pressure to create the cleanest product possible - free from harsh chemicals and solvents.
- SUGAR-FREE ENERGY: As soon as you consume Brain Octane, it is rapidly absorbed and changed into ketone bodies - providing instant energy to the brain without breaking down glucose from sugars or...
- EXTRACTED FROM 100% PURE COCONUT OIL: Brain Octane is carefully extracted from 100% pure coconut oil, not palm oil, to protect wild orangutan habitat in Southeast Asia. Not just coconut or MCT oil -...
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY DIGESTION: Brain Octane produces 4x the ketone energy of plain coconut oil, and also promotes healthy digestion and immune function.
Best Powder MCT Oil
5. Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder
Perfect Keto’s vanilla-flavored powder is one of the top MCT oil alternatives on the market today. It’s a mess-free formula that has a smooth, creamy texture. As such, it’s well-suited for smoothies and coffees. The blend has absolutely no fillers or additives. In fact, the only ingredients are MCT fats from pure coconut oil.
Perfect Keto powder is manufactured in the United States. To guarantee its quality, each batch is tested in a lab to ensure it meets the company’s 70-percent C8 and 30-percent C10 ratio. It is also tested for heavy metals and other impurities.
- High percentage of C8 and C10
- No fillers
- No mess powder-based recipe
- Vanilla flavor well-suited for coffees and smoothies
- Manufactured in the U.S.
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Contains acai fiber and stevia leaf powder
- Stevia flavor is strong
- Convenient, 100% pure MCT oil powder: Perfect supplement for those who want the benefits of liquid MCT oil without the mess, digestive distress or travel headache. Perfect Keto's MCT Oil Powder is...
- No fillers or additives: Unlike others, Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder contains no fillers, corn starch, or fiber additives. This means that our MCT has zero carbs and zero grams of sugar: just pure...
- Perfect Keto MCT Oil Powder is 100% Pure and manufactured at a GMP facility in the USA. Each batch is lab-tested to contain our 70/30 c8/c10 ratio, and is tested for heavy metals and other impurities....
- Feel full and increase energy: The body begins burning MCT for fuel almost immediately, which is why MCTs are so popular in morning coffee. Because our MCT Oil Powder contains zero additives, carbs or...
- Each container comes with 30 servings of 100% Pure MCT Oil Powder. Our product comes from coconuts and is composed of 70% C8 and 30% C10.
Best Of The Rest
6. Sports Research MCT Oil
Sports Research MCT Oil is yet another outstanding MCT coconut oil. It is made from 100-percent non-GMO coconuts and contains absolutely no fillers. It boasts a hearty spectrum of MCT molecules, including lauric acid. Not to mention, a third party has verified that it is keto-, paleo-, and vegan-friendly.
As an added bonus, the manufacturer gives customers a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. If you don’t like it, you can simply return it for a full refund. What’s more, the Sports Research oil is tasteless. As such, it can be used as a substitute for other oils.
Many customers have said that the oil has helped them lose weight and boost their mental clarity. Although, many warn that you should start with a small dosage and work your way up. This is because large dosages of oil can disrupt your normal digestion.
- Non-GMO verified
- Keto, paleo, and vegan-friendly
- 90-day money back guarantee
- Large doses may disrupt normal digestion
7. LifeSense’s Premium C8 MCT Oil
C8 Keto MCT oil is a concentrated formula that is produced without any solvents. One of the main features that sets this product apart from others is its BPA-free spill-proof packaging. We also love that this formula was developed by a leading lipid biochemist and nutritionist. As such, it comes as no surprise that it contains one of the highest potencies of C8.
We also love that the LifeSense C8 formula has virtually no artificial flavors, preservatives, colors, or additives. In fact, it goes through a thorough triple-distillation process that is similar to Bulletproof’s, which only uses water, heat, and pressure. Beyond that, LifeSense’s MCT is sustainably sourced in order to protect essential wildlife habitats around the world.
- High-potency C8 formula
- Goes through triple distillation
- No artificial additives or flavors
- Spill-free BPA-free bottle
- Sustainably harvested and contains no palm oil
- May cause stomach problems
- "TRUE" pure Keto MCT, produced without Solvents, using Sustainable Oil Sources; Non-BPA bottle
- C-8 is more ketogenic than Coconut oil (mostly C12) and Mixed Fatty acid MCTs
- BENEFITS: Supports Weight Management, does Not Store in Body Fat, helps regulate Appetite, promotes Mental Focus; provides sustained Energy; benefits Exercise Performance and Recovery; aids Digestive...
- NON-GMO, Rigorous Quality Control, Vegan, Paleo, Odorless, Tasteless, NO LAURIC ACID
- FEATURED on "The Real Skinny on Fat" documentary with Montel Williams; Technical Products require Technical know-how
This next MCT oil product is well-suited for individuals who don’t enjoy drinking spoonfuls of oil every day. Kiss My Keto MCT comes in soft gel capsules you can consume like a conventional vitamin. The oil inside them is sourced from 100-percent pure coconuts. As such, it’s gentle on the stomach and easy to digest.
Customers say that the Kiss My Keto capsules are ideal for taking on the road or keeping in the office. Some people even opted to drop the MCT capsules into coffee to make their own Bulletproof blend. As a result, many people experienced rapid weight loss and increased brain power. Not to mention, others reported experiencing reduced headaches and better immunity.
- Softgel capsule form for travel or work
- Made from sustainably sourced, organic, -GMO coconuts
- Can be dropped into coffee
- Each container contains 100 three-capsule servings
- 55-percent C8 and 45-percent C10
- Mild aftertaste
- GENTLE ON THE STOMACH AND EASY TO DIGEST - Maintain & balance your level of ketosis or use to jumpstart your Ketogenic Diet. Start with 1 soft gel capsule and gradually increase dosage to servings...
- TRAVEL WITH EASE WITH THE CONVENIENCE and PORTABILITY OF SOFT GEL MCT PILLS - Take caps with you through airport security on airplanes, in your car, or at the office! Our essential MCT fatty acid...
- DROP MCT CAPSULES IN YOUR COFFEE TO MAKE THEM BULLETPROOF - Essential For Keto and Paleo Dieters - Our pharmaceutical grade, non GMO brain octane is the ultimate bullet proof oil in pill form that is...
- QUICKLY BOOST ENERGY, NATURALLY IMPROVE METAL FOCUS, MOOD & ENDURANCE & ENHANCE DIGESTION - MCT is high-grade, fast fuel for your brain and muscles without the caffeine jitters or the crash....
- GET INTO KETOSIS, SKYROCKET METABOLISM & USE FAT - Working all day? An athlete who loves intense sports and gym workouts? Stubborn belly fat & trying to detox & alter your lifestyle? Medium chain...
9. Anjou Premium MCT Oil
Each bottle of Anjoui’s keto-friendly formula contains the oil of approximately 100 non-GMO coconuts. The product also contains zero additives, flavors, or preservatives. It is made in the United States, where it is packaged in a BPA-free light-blocking bottle. It contains approximately 50- to 65-percent C8, 30- to 45-percent C10, and nominal amounts of C12 and C6.
Users say the oil is great for making a homemade version of Bulletproof coffee. Not to mention, it helps stave off hunger and accelerate weight loss. While quite a few customers complained that the bottle was difficult to pour from, some pointed out that it could be easily transferred to an oil dispenser. Finally, many users remarked that it was inexpensive compared to similar products.
- Made from non-GMO coconuts
- No additives
- Featues full spectrum of MCT oil
- Bottle does not pour well
- Coffee must have: Enjoy the neutral flavor and therapeutic properties of our MCT oil in your morning cup of Joe for its long lasting. Ideal for cold and warm dishes, as well as salad, and shakes and...
- Supports Energy and Mental Focus: Enjoy better endurance and enhanced performance with Anjou MCT oil - providing burst of sustained energy for your body and brain
- Made in USA: Free of preservatives, additives and flavors, only derived from 100 natural coconuts. Anjou MCT oil have a high concentration of C8 and C10 bottled in a BPA free jar.
- Healthy weight management: Easily digested by the liver and converts into energy, leaving no fat in your body, perfect for sports/exercises and get into shape faster
- Energetic and positive memory: MCT fuels your brain. You stay sharp longer, experience less fatigue and have more power for your daily tasks by Anjou MCT oil
Divine Health’s premium MCT oil blend was developed by the best-selling author, Dr. CDon Colbert. It boasts an all-natural sugar-free coconut flavor that can be added to water, baking products, or smoothies for easy consumption throughout the whole day. The product is free from carbs. It contains 75-percent C7 and 25-percent C8.
Users love the powder’s smooth creamy texture. In fact, many suggest using as a substitute creamer in coffee and tea. Many users said it helped boost their metabolism and burn fat at a faster rate. The majority of users also said it helped them stay full and energized. While some customers mentioned that they preferred Divine’s earlier formula, the general consensus for this product was positive.
- 75 percent C8
- 25 percent C10
- All-natural coconut flavor
- Created by a best-selling author and doctor
- Some customers prefer the previous blend
MCT Oils for Ketosis Buyer’s Guide for 2019
If you’re new to the ketogenic craze, you may be wondering what all the hype is about. Here are some of the answers to why people can’t stop obsessing over medium chain fatty acids.
What are Medium-Chain Fatty Acids?
Medium-chain fatty acids, or medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), are extremely nutritious saturated fats. They go from the gastrointestinal (GI) tract to the body’s portal system without being modified like other fats. After which, they are oxidized by the liver. This alternative process enables the body to rapidly turn the MCTs into energy.
What Does the Body Do with MTCs?
MTCs oils contain four potential medium-chain fatty acids. These typically include C8, C10, and C12. On a side note, many manufacturers will list the percentage of each of these MCFAs. Each of these MCFAs has a unique nutritious quality that is beneficial to the body.
Some of the key benefits of the MCFAs in MCTs is their ability to decrease malabsorption. They can also help to decrease weight loss, increase mental clarity, increase metabolism, and more.
This is because the body uses oxidized MCTs, or ketones, for energy. Since individuals on the keto diet only metabolize ketones for energy, MCTs are an imperative dietary supplement for them.
The benefits of burning ketones over carbs are enormous for individuals both on and off the ketogenic diet. In fact, many customers have reported having reduced brain fog, increased fat loss, and more sustained fullness. On top of that, people may experience reduced inflammation, improved hair and skin conditions, and/or more-balanced insulin levels.
What Makes a Good MCT Oil?
MCT oil is typically extracted from distilled coconut oil. While regular coconut oil contains a modest amount of MCT, MTC oil is typically a highly concentrated formula. Keep in mind that lower-grade MCT oils are sometimes sourced from palm oil. While palm oil is also rich in MCFAs, the harvesting of palm oil is known to cause major environmental destruction.
The bests MCT oils are harvested from sustainably grown organic coconuts that have been distilled in a purifying way. In fact, most popular MCT oil brands only use water, steam, and heat to garner their energy-laden formulas. As such, many brands tend to have large amounts of C8 along with a more modest volume of C10. On top of that, some high-end oils contain a novel amount of lauric acid, which also beneficial to the body.
Good MCT oils do not contain additives, preservatives, fillers, or other non-beneficial ingredients. However, many premium products are fortified with sugar-free flavors. Contrary to this, some oil formulas have no flavor at all. The addition of flavor is merely a customer preference. There are quality versions of both flavored and flavorless MCT oils on the market.
Most oils come in traditional liquid form and can be mixed in or drizzled on to a variety of food and drinks. However, some manufacturers also boast fine-ground powders and capsules that enable an alternative mode of consumption.
How is MCT Used?
Many people choose to consume a tablespoon or two of MCT oil each day. More often, people typically mix the MCT with their coffee, a smoothie, or other food. In fact, the potential food and drink combos for MCT are virtually limitless.
Individuals following the ketogenic diet will often use MCT oil to compliment a zero-carb diet and/or intermittent fasting. As such, it is usually part of their daily regime. This sort of regular consumption of MCT oils can result in amazing health improvements.
Ways to Use Your MCT Oil
Add it to Your Morning Cup of Joe: Bulletproof coffee is a popular consumer product that contains grass-fed butter, MCT oil, and coffee. It’s often reproduced by keto-heads looking for a little extra brain juice.
Add it to a Keto Smoothie: MCT is a great pre-workout or post-workout substance. Add it to an ice-cold protein-rich smoothie to get your blood flowing for before your next gym session.
Add it to Salad Dressing: MCT oil can be used as a substitute for traditional cooking oils. Pop some into your favorite salad dressing for a high-fat meal that will give you tons of sustained energy.
Drink it Straight: A tablespoon or two of pure MCT oil is often the perfect way to start your morning. Just be sure to find one that has a decent drip-free bottle for easy pouring. Otherwise, you may be forced to purchase an oil dispenser or risk losing precious quantities of this essential oil with each pour.
Potential Side-Effects of MCT Oil
It takes the digestion system some time to adjust to MCT oil. When the oil is consumed too quickly, it can cause diarrhea, nausea, stomach discomfort, and other issues. Pairing MCT with food can help reduce the negative side effects. What’s more, users can minimize the shock to their body by starting at a low dose and working their way up.
Benefits of the Ketogenic Diet
While its evident that MCT oil offers loads of health benefits, it’s important to consider its specific role in the ketogenic diet. MCT oil is important to those looking to achieve ketosis because it is one of the most efficient sources of ketones or caprylic acid.
That is because ketones make it easier for the body to reap the benefits of burning fats, rather than carbohydrates, for energy. The ketogenic diet enables people to rapidly lose fat and weight. It can also help stave off hunger.
While the benefits of the ketogenic diet are numerous, it is incredibly hard for the body to stay in the ketogenic state. That’s because we are constantly surrounded by carb-rich foods. MCT can help curb your desire for carbs in order to prolong the benefits of the keto diet.
The ketogenic diet offers a wide range of health benefits to those who follow it closely. However, switching over to burning fats from carbs is easier said than done. MCT oil is one of the richest and most delectable sources of the ketones the body needs to achieve this incredible state.
As such, keto diet followers are often flocking to find the latest and greatest MCT oil on the market. With 10 incredible suggestions and plenty of information, you now have all the tools you need to find the perfect coconut MCT oil around.
Last update on 2019-09-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API