*Please note that this site contains affiliate links where I earn a small commission to help run this site!
With so many dietary supplements out there to choose from, I wasn't quite sure which I wanted to try or if I even wanted to try them all. I felt that the danger in trying too many different supplements was that I could end up doing some serious damage to my body.
Despite that, I went ahead and tried a number of different supplements and just hoped for the best. I wanted to find the best keto supplements.
When looking into the keto diet, I was very concerned because a lot of people said that you could damage your brain if you didn’t do the diet properly. That was a really sobering thought for me and, my research indicates that it is true.
Trying to take too many shortcuts and not researching the right way to get into ketosis, could lead to you starving the neurons in your brain and causing damage.
So, with that in mind, I did plenty of research into how I could overcome this challenge and protect my brain while following a keto diet. I came across BulletProof Brain Octane Oil in my research and I just love it.
What is BulletProof Brain Octane Oil?
BulletProof Brain Octane oil is a high-quality oil designed to fill in the nutritional gaps left primarily by a ketogenic diet. Low-carb diets in general do not offer the full range of nutrients that your body needs because you are cutting out quite a range of foods.
BulletProof Brain Octane Oil focuses on keeping the brain sustained and protected, no matter what type of diet you are on. It is also a very popular MCT Oil supplement that the manufacturer claims is18 times stronger than coconut oil. Aside from maintaining brain function, it is also said to help the body burn off fat and improve weight loss.
What's in BulletProof Brain Octane Oil?
Brain Octane Oil's main ingredient is MCT (medium chain triglycerides) Oil. BulletProof Brain Octane Oil only uses C8 MCT's, thus the name 'Octane Oil.' The C8 MCT Oil is more popularly known as Caprylic Acid, which I'm pretty sure you've heard of before. It also contains oxaloacetic acid.
What are the benefits of these Ingredients?
- Since BulletProof Brain Octane Oil is a pure MCT Oil, you'd be forgiven for thinking it has limited benefits. But don't let the short ingredient list fool you, MCT oils are a potent, high quality source of fuel for the body with a ton of benefits.
- A lot of research has been conducted into caprylic acid and oxaloactic acid and they have proven health benefits.
- Cosmetic Benefits: Caprylic Acid is often known to be coconut oil's secret ingredient - it is what leaves the hair and skin feeling soft and smooth. Oxaloacetic acid helps to reduce the signs of aging.
- Skin Treatment: Conventional wisdom holds that oil causes breakouts but this is actually incorrect. It is a combination of the overproduction of sebum in the skin and the increased turnover the cells of the skin that combine to block pores. Bacteria on the skin infects the area and causes those nasty-looking pimples. The caprylic acid found in oil has anti-bacterial properties that soothe the infection and help to reduce inflammation. It also helps treat a skin condition called dermatophytosis. It doesn't just cure acne and pimples, but it also reduces general inflammation as proven in a study.
- Antifungal Properties: The cosmetic benefits of the oil are only a small portion of what it can do. It is a potent antifungal agent as well. It is what makes garlic one of the most potent antibacterial and anti-fungal home remedies. A study of caprylic acid has shown that it was very effective in treating a Candida yeast infection (The fungus that causes a vaginal yeast infection, oral thrush, and nail fungus).
- Selective Digestive Disorder treatment: Since it has both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, caprylic acid is useful in reducing the symptoms associated with inflammatory bowel disease or IBS, Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis. That said, if you suffer from these conditions, consult your doctor first about the proper dosage to use as it can upset the digestive tract.
- Lowering High Cholesterol. Caprylic acid is also proven to lower high cholesterol.
- Neuroprotection: The Caprylic Acid in coconut oil and palm oil protects the brain from degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's Disease. In 2015 research showed that it formed a protective barrier in the blood vessels in the brain making the brain stronger and less prone to convulsions. Oxaloacetic Acid is also a powerful neuro protector and can help to prevent damage from a stroke or injury.
- Regulates Blood Sugar: Oxaloacetic acid is a chemical that helps the body to regulate blood sugar. It is especially useful for those who have diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Cancer Prevention Properties: Oxaloacetic acid has proven cancer-fighting and tumor-fighting properties. It has been known to boost the healing properties of antitumor drugs such as Temozolomide, thereby impoving the patient's survival rate.
- Faster Metabolism: MCTs are also known to speed up metabolism. And that helps to support a low keto diet and in reaching the keto-adapted stage.
- Prevent Muscle Loss: During a high-performance workout, some people may find that the body burn the protein in muscle instead of burning carbs and fats. MCTs can prevent that happening so you don’t lose muscle mass during an intense workout.
Where does the MCT Oil came from?
The main ingredients in BulletProof Brain Octane Oil are derived from coconut oil. MCTs derived from coconut oil are said to be more potent than those derived from palm oil. Also, BulletProof takes the habitat of the orangutan into consideration. Orangutans are at risk of dying out because their habitats are being destroyed to make way for palm oil plantations. Kudos to the more environment-friendly option!
What's MCT Oil?
MCTs or medium chain triglycerides are triglycerides—the healthy medium-length fats found in our skin and our body. Do you know what the significance of that is for the keto diet? I didn’t until I researched it.
Let’s lay it out simply. Your body needs different types of fats – short-chain fats to aid digestion, medium-chain fats for energy, and long-chain fats to shore up our fat stores.
Long-chain fats are difficult for your body to convert to energy and so generally end up pretty much unchanged in the body fat stores. These fats are found in a lot of the food that we eat and most of them increase your levels of bad cholesterol. (Omega-3 is an exception here.) Most of us eat too many of these.
Medium-chain fats, on the other hand, are something that we are usually in short supply of and that’s why we are plagued with health problems. Medium-chain fats are a lot healthier because they are more easily converted to energy and so are seldom stored as fats in the body.
How does it taste?
Oil. We know how bad oil tastes like when we drink it pure—it's nasty. In this case, there is also a very a slight hint of coconut as well. It is pretty much odorless and so is not as nasty as the other oils but the texture might still make you want to gag.
Are there any side effects when taking this supplement?
Brain Octane Oil is an oil; so it may cause stomach upsets. Introducing it slowly into your diet is a good way to get used to it before upping the dose. You need to work your way up to a big dose or risk a upset, sore stomach.
Are there any precautions before taking Brain Octane Oil?
Yes, first of all, pregnant women and breastfeeding moms need to consult their medical practitioner before taking the Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil.
Anyone who is also taking stomach medication or GI distress medication should also have a professional medical prescription since Brain Octane Oil may be contradicated.
If you have an allergy to coconut, you should not take Bulletproof since it is derived from coconut oil.
Is there a better way to take BulletProof Brain Octane Oil?
Your first instinct may be to swig it down in one swoop. This is not the best course of action and is more likely to end up in your tossing it up again.
What I often do is to use it like a salad dressing or mixed in with the olive oil in pesto. I sometimes also add it to my smoothies.
You can cook with it as long as you don’t heat it higher than 320°F. I sometimes use it in baking where the temperature is lower than 300°F.
Alternatively, start by taking half to one teaspoon at a time per day. You can divide up the dose to make it easier. When that becomes easy, then start to increase the amount gradually until you get to 3 tablespoons a day. (Again, dividing the dose.)
Does BulletProof have other Types of Supplements?
Yes, they do! If you happen to like BulletProof Brain Octane Oil, you may also like some of their other products like their XCT Oil (high-performance MCTs), Flatwater (Grapefruit, Lemon, or Pineapple), Instamix Coffee Creamer (Brain Octane and Butter), and Ghee. All these are formulated to support your the ketogenic diet diet.
Overall, I did like the BulletProof Brain Octane Oil. The taste and the temporary stomach distress can be easily borne because of the benefits. I would rather risk an upset stomach for a few days than risk permanent brain damage because I made a simple miscalculation in my keto diet.
Aside from the neuroprotection, I also love the antibacterial benefits that it offers and the immunity boost that it gives. This is quite difficult to come by in your standard keto supplements. So definitely, I recommend this MCT Oil for any keto lovers like me.